- Written by Jay Buchanan
- Hits: 2885
WHALES BREW CLUB
March 2014 Meeting Newsletter #184
The March 2014 WHALES meeting was held on March 18th at JJ Bitting in Woodbridge, NJ.
38 members and 2 guests were in attendance. Both Guests joined the club--congrats Gary C and Tim!
President Brad opened the meeting at 8:13pm with a brief overview of the tasting agenda.
Recap of Recent Events
- BIG BEER NITE was held at Keith & Donna St's house Fri, Feb 21st.
- War of the Worts competition was held Sat, Feb 22nd.
- The March 2014 Steering Committee meeting was held on March 4th at Harvest Moon in New Brunswick.
- Dennis' "Philly Suburb Beer Trip" was held Sat, March 15th.
Upcoming Events / Reminders
- Sat, May 3, 2014 - National Homebrew Day Big Brew. see forum
- Sat, June 21, 2014 - WHALES Picnic. see poll for location
- May 9-10, 2014 - SAVOR Beer Fest, Washington DC. presale 3/25
- Aug 8-9, 2014 - "Belgium Comes to Cooperstown", Brewery Ommegang. tix 4/1
- The club library has new books in stock. See the library forum post or Keith S for details.
- NEW PROJECT! Dennis is hosting an Oaked sour blonde to be brewed on Sat, April 12, 2014. see forum for details
- Bobby's Lambic Solera Project -- Don & Steve B will be bottling their 15g soon. Jay B/Frank & Sergio M will be brewing the next 15g exchange soon. Last time the barrel was tasted was July 2013.
- Craig's Belgian Dark Strong -- Brewed Sept 14, 2013; Racked into a fresh bourbon barrel on Oct 19, 2013. Currently aging. Ready to rack and distribute soon.
- Joe S & Gary's Red Wine Project -- currently going through Malolactic fermentation and aging in Gary's cold room.
- The next WHALES Club Only Comp will be at the April meeting and the criteria is "hop showcase". Get em ready.
- 2014 WHALES CoC schedule is final:
- Jan - Anything Belgian (done!)
- April - Hop Showcase
- July - low-gravity
- Oct - beverage ferm with at least 10% fruit or honey
- Comp Coordinator Don B with some announcements
- The WHALES showing at WotW last month:
- Silver -- Dennis Maciupa - 11C: Northern English Brown Ale
- Bronze -- Sergio Moutela - 26A: Metheglin (Dolce Chipotle)
- Bronze -- Sergio Moutela - 25C: Other Fruit Melomel (Desert Kiss)
- Bronze -- Boyle Brothers - 28B: Fruit Cider (Cranapple)
- current HBOY leaders:
- 1st - Boyle Brothers - 9 pts
- 2nd - Dennis - 7 pts
- 3rd - (Brian S, Craig, Sergio) - 6 pts
- The WHALES showing at WotW last month:
Steering Committee Updates
- finalized changes to the clubs bylaws (pre-set dollar limits and approval of allocation of club funds for routine events, addition of "club equipment steward" position, minor editorial changes, etc.) A poll will be put up soon so the club can vote on the proposed changes.
- Discussed what equipment is necessary to complete the club’s brewing system. A poll will be put up soon so the club can vote on the pre-approval of up to $500.00 to spend on the purchase of a stainless steel mash tun (around 100g) and stainless steel fermenters.
- Actively discussing how to distribute Keystone barrel project beers among members.
- Always seeking volunteers to plan or assist with club activities in 2014.
- Frank showed us his 7.5g Brew Bucket - a SS "conical" - and discussed the pros/cons.
Siebel Sensory Training Kit (2/6)
The Siebel kit contains 24 flavor vials to doctor up a liter of beer each. We are breaking the kit down into 6 sessions with 4 flavors each. Tonight, Mike S & Jay B took turns speaking about the following 4 flavors:
- Gary & Joe S presented 3 samples of the 2012 red wine project for tasting
- bottled just after primary fermentation
- bottled just after malo-lactic fermentation
- bottled after oak aging
There were 10 beers & 1 mead in the flight
- 3 commercial beers:
- WHALES poured a Belgian IPA from Barren Hill (PA)
- WHALES poured a robust coffee habanero stout from Tired Hands (PA)
- Dennis poured Heady Topper from The Alchemist (VT)
- Ron & Marc poured a Kolsch
- Nick poured a Munich Dunkel
- Tim (new member) poured a white IPA & a SMaSH IPA brewed w Belma
- Brian E poured a raisin amber & a hazelnut stout
- Dave R poured his Easter stout
- Sergio poured a sauv blanc pyment
-respectfully submitted by Jay B, WHALES Secretary