- Written by Jay Buchanan
- Hits: 2624
WHALES BREW CLUB
January 2015 Meeting Newsletter #195
The January 2015 WHALES meeting was held on January 20th at JJ Bitting in Woodbridge, NJ.
27 members and 5 guest5 were in attendance. One guest joined the club -- congrats and welcome to Matt Y.
President Craig opened the meeting at 8:09 pm welcoming all members and guests. He thanked the outgoing Steering members, and re-introduced the 2015 Steering Committee.
Recap of Recent Events
- The annual holiday party was held on Sat, Jan 17 at the Rahway Italian American club. A great time was had by members and their families. We held a Tricky Tray raffle where lots of great donated homebrewing swag was auctioned off and in the process we raised $441 to donate to the NJ Community Food Bank. Thank you to the SC members who took the time to solicit donations, and a special thanks to the members who generously donated on behalf of their businesses:
- Bobby on behalf of BrewHardware
- Ron & Marc on behalf of Love2Brew
- Sergio on behalf of Melovino Meadery
- SC met on Jan 6th at George Street Ale House in NB.
- 2015 club dues are due now -- please see treasurer Keith St if you haven't yet paid.
- The club approved to spend funds on a 2015 renewal gift, and they're in! Each member, new or returning, gets 2 plastic WHALES tasting mugs.
- The club library is always open, offering lots of great books and DVDs about homebrewing. For 2015 we have a new librarian: Frank W. Be sure to email Frank if you'd like to check something out of the library.
- 2 new additions to the library: "Malt" from the Brewing Elements series is now in (we also have the other 3: "Yeast", "Water", & "Hops"). Also, a large collection of back-issues to "Brew-Your-Own Magazine" and "Zymergy" were donated to the library by Sam.
- Lambic Solera Project -- next exchange will be brewed this week
- French Oak Sour Blonde Project -- was recently tasted and determined to need more time
- Keystone Barrel Brew Project -- considering racking to SS and bringing back to NJ for easier distribution
- The Atlantic City Beer Festival will be held March 20-21 this year, and Ron from Love2Brew announced he will buy your ticket for the whole weekend if:
- You brew a beer and bring the full keg to serve and talk about at the L2B club booth (email Ron here for more info).
- Ron also mentioned that L2B is opening a new warehouse in Fairlawn, NJ -- set to open doors on March 3rd. They will be having a grand opening party on March 28th & everyone is welcome.
- 2015 War of the Worts will be held next month at Keystone Homebrew in PA.
- Registration is open here.
- Entries need to be delivered by 2/7.
- Steve & Don B will be making a run with entries on Sat, 1/24, so get your entries to them and save a trip.
- 2015 Whales CoCs catergories are set:
- TONIGHT - bring your best beer
- April - Any mead, wine, or cider
- July - Any Belgian
- October - Porters & Stouts
Tonight's WCoC was "bring your best beer". 6 members brought entries, and all in attendance voted the winners:
- Steve & Don B - Strong Scotch Ale - 1st Place
- we had a tie for 2nd place:
- Shawn - Chocolate Robust Porter - 2nd
- Tim - Red Gingersnap Ale - 2nd
We had 6 beers and 1 cider in the flight tonight:
- guests Brad, Eric, & Zach poured 3 beers & a cider
- Brown Ale
- Vanilla Milk Stout
- Winter Amber
- Still Cider brewed w sake yeast
- Ron poured a dark rye saison
- Nick poured a sour Janet's brown (intentially sour)
- Dennis poured Carton's impy cream ale brewed w coffee
submitted by Jay B, Whales secretary